IT To Go - Can support clients as far as Goole in South Yorkshire
Goole is a town, civil parish and port located approximately 45 miles (72 km) inland on the confluence of the rivers Don and Ouse in the East Riding of Yorkshire, England. The port is "highly versatile", and is capable of handling nearly 3 million tonnes of cargo per annum, making it one of the most important ports on the east coast of England. Goole is twinned with Złotów, Poland, (and was twinned with Rostock, northern Germany in 1969 although this seems to have lapsed). Goole was informally twinned with Gibraltar in the 1960s; at that time, Gibraltar Court was named in Goole and Goole Court was named in Gibraltar.
The Dutch civil engineer Cornelius Vermuyden diverted the River Don northwards to the River Ouse in 1626-1629. to drain the marshland of Hatfield Chase at the behest of King Charles I. This also made the lower Don navigable for small barges so that coal from the South Yorkshire Coalfields could be transported to "Goole" at the new mouth of the Don (or "Dutch River") for transfer to seagoing vessels.
The Aire and Calder Navigation Company opened their broad canal from Knottingley in the northern sector of the coalfield in 1826, together with eight transshipment docks at Goole and a company-built town. This gave rise to several innovations in materials handling by the chief engineer, William Hamond Bartholomew. In 1863 he introduced the Tom Pudding system of compartment boats which could each carry around 40 long tons (41,000 kg) of coal. In the docks, Bartholomew introduced large boat hoists which could lift the Puddings and discharge directly into seagoing ships which exported the coal to all parts of the world. These managed to compete with rail and were used until 1985.
For most of the life of the port, coal has been the dominant commodity handled. Another commodity associated with the mining industry was pit props. These were traditionally stored floating in the water at the Timber Pond. With the decline of the mining industry, pit props are no longer imported and the Timber Pond is now a marina trading under the name Goole Boathouse. It has berths for 150 boats and is the largest inland waterway marina in Yorkshire.
Three locks keep the water in 37 acres (150,000 m2) of docks at a constant depth of six metres by preventing the level from rising and falling with the tides in the River Ouse. Ships and barges entering the port must first pass through the locks. Once inside, there are eight docks with a total of three miles (5 km) of quayside at which they can berth. Besides the docks are transit sheds where cargo is stored, many of which are equipped with overhead cranes. Goole has regular cargo liner services to Norway, Sweden, Finland, Germany, Holland, Belgium, France, Spain, Morocco and South Africa. There is also trade by charter vessel to and from many other countries, including Russia, Denmark and Italy. Cargo from other parts of the world such as United States of America, China and Australia reaches Goole by transshipment services from Rotterdam.
When Goole first opened as a port it was a small new village of about 450 people. Now it is a small town with about 18,000 inhabitants.
The Lancashire and Yorkshire Railway built a line from Pontefract and Wakefield in 1848 and the North Eastern Railway connected with Doncaster and Hull in 1870. The prosperity from the coal and general cargo trade with the West Riding industrial area continued for 150 years after the opening of the canal. After a period of decline, these commodities were more than replaced by containers, the export of steel and the import of timber from north-eastern Europe. The two original 1826 docks, along with all six others built later, are still in full operation. Goole railway station is on the Sheffield to Hull Line and is the terminus of the Pontefract Line.
Glass and clothing are produced in Goole and it is the focus of an agricultural district.
Goole's most prominent landmarks are its twin water towers, dubbed the "salt and pepper pots". In the winter months, Goole's gas holder on Anderson Road is visible across the north of the town. Many of the hoists and cranes of the docks can be seen across the town. The steeple of Goole Parish Church is also tall enough to be seen across the town. The town's landscape is made up mostly of utility and industrial structures. Because of its relative flatness, all the structures are largely set at the same height.
Goole's industrial park, Capitol Park, has attracted two large employers: Guardian Industries, which built a glass manufacturing plant, and Tesco, which built a distribution centre. The arrival of these employers resulted in hundreds of new jobs being created. A new Morrisons store opened in Goole on 2 August 2010, built on land previously occupied by Timms Mill on Boothferry Road.
Please find us on the following socil network sites search for ittogo
Supporting I.T. In Homes, Businesses, Schools & Local Government. Onsite In Yorkshire,
If you have you any problems, ideas or comments about this site. Please feel free to send feedback to our webmaster by clicking here
Please Note: IT To Go cannot be responsible for the content of external internet sites, forums, and social media, all comments made are of the individuals and not comments of IT To Go as a company unless otherwise stated,
Our site is virus scanned daily but we always advise you use your own anti virus & firewall software, as IT To Go cannot be responsible for any problems from our site or hosted sites.
IT To Go - Computer Services
Sales & Support: (01302) 352352 Fax: (01302) 352352 Mobile: (07719) 660777
This website, and all its content has copyright © by www.ittogo.co.uk
All rights reserved, please read our terms and conditions
and site disclaimer